telnet with windows

VW::Classic Players and admin can have general conversation here, all topics must be non-profane in nature

Moderators: Azazel, Helmut

Helmut
Admin

telnet with windows

Post by Helmut »

I just thought that I would inform some of with the latest version of windows, it doesn't have telnet installed. I dont know if any one here uses that to connect to the game, but if they then they will need to use an alternative program to actually connect. A free version available to use it putty. Putty also has the ability to do hypter terminal, which is NOT available any longer on vista. I dont think I noticed it on XP either, but I know for sure that isn't not available for Vista+. No longer supported by MS.
-Helmut
bair
Antediluvian
Clan: Toreador

Re: telnet with windows

Post by bair »

telnet ******* sucks, if you actually play this mud frequently, i strongly advise buying cmud/zmud. if you have anything close to a coding mindset it will make your mud life WAY easier. theres pretty much nothing i cant code for vw aside from prompt based things because its so random.
Helmut
Admin

Post by Helmut »

I agree. Spend some dough on cmud/zmud. Though, there are those out there that will continue to use telnet, because they are just used to it. So, I'm offering a solution to a future problem.
-Helmut
Mordent
Ancilla

Post by Mordent »

Another really good option for those that don't necessarily like the idea of forking out cash for cmud/zmud (or are accessing the game from a non-Windows OS) is the client tt++. I stumbled upon it while trying to figure out how to access the mud from my laptop which runs Ubuntu and liked it so much I downloaded the windows version for my desktop (which is called WinTin++) and is available for download from the same site.

The client is fairly straight-forward but doesn't offer much as far as a GUI is concerned. But that shouldn't bother anybody that's currently using telnet to connect.
I am powerful, I am immortal,
I am cursed, I am the Darkness,
I am Brujah.
Sami
Antediluvian
Clan: Ventrue

Post by Sami »

There is no telnet with xp either .. tried it already :evil:
There is also a cheap version of zmud 3.16 that zuggsoft still has on their site and another program called gmud which i quit using 7 years ago :twisted: when i bought zmud
The Way of Heaven is to benefit others and not to injure. The Way of the sage is to act but not to compete... Lao Tzu
ghnat
Antediluvian

Post by ghnat »

well i used telnet, then moved up to zmud, then moved up again to gmud.....
and i do mean up. gmud has simple alias/macro/triggers that work.
zmud has long *** processes which are great if you want to trigger growing from 100hp to 25k across, fully quested, full runes and have nod, but **** man who is that fucked up that they want to **** around creating that many trigger commands. gmud has faster response time than zmud as far as i have seen due to the fact of less program command checking, this means the difference between life and death in most pk battles. and not only that the fact gmud has up key cycle through last commands used rather 'holy **** im a fucktard and i want to randomly recreate any line i typed in last 20 hrs' system which zmud has running.
dunno about you but to me its the same choice of xp vs vista. do i want to choose want i want to do (and do it), or do i want to choose something i want to do (3 times then be denied because my client tells me its the wrong thing). i tried 'portal' once and once only, nuff said.

the problem that helmut is expressing is that mudconnector.com gives the option to connect to a mud(through telnet) and with most os with no telnet he is giving people options on what to use to help new people connect to us. old people already have their 'beloved' program which they use. btw gmud and portal are both free!
Zaheer
Ancilla

Post by Zaheer »

i had to pay for gmud, howd u get it 4 free?
Secma
Ancilla

Post by Secma »

Actually XP comes with Telnet stock and so does vista you just have to turn it on :D
Helmut
Admin

Post by Helmut »

Actually XP comes with Telnet stock and so does vista you just have to turn it on
This is true as well, just figured that since some people wouldn't know where to turn it on at. They should look for alternatives. Also, hyperterminal isn't an option to turn on. So, if someone out there needs to use that for a com1 connection. Look at Putty, because its there.
-Helmut
Mezari
Neonate

Post by Mezari »

TinyFugue all the way baby :)
I even sacrifice some ping by connecting to a unix box first.
ghnat
Antediluvian

Post by ghnat »

gmud is abondonware so i have no clue how you had to pay for it. there is a link on the vw wiki page to download gmud
Raziel
Neonate

Post by Raziel »

If you still want to use telnet on Vista, its in the Programs and Features(Used to be Add/Remove Programs in older OS's). Click Windows features and check the Telnet Client. Even though everyone(including myself) hates telnet, I still actually use it on occassion because CMUD has some issues sometimes.
Tarasque
Methuselah

Post by Tarasque »

TinyFugue also runs on Windoze(tm) ;)

Tarasque
Sami
Antediluvian

Post by Sami »

I still need to figure out cmud but it's a pain .. i love my zmud and yes it works with vista :twisted:
The Way of Heaven is to benefit others and not to injure. The Way of the sage is to act but not to compete... Lao Tzu
Askim
Ancilla
Clan: Malkavian

Post by Askim »

I use a client called AL client. Was originally created for a certain MUD, but it works for pretty much anything. Has most if not all the options of those pay clients but it's free. Just look it up on google... Works for me. ** shrugs **
---
AsKiM
.o0OMaLkAvIaN MaDnEsSO0o.
Sami
Antediluvian

Post by Sami »

I have a code for Zmud that I will not be using since i turned to Cmud pro .. if anyone wants it let me know!