more log problems

VW::Classic Helpdesk
This will house FAQs and general questions, player/admin alike.

IF you have a bug, report it via vw_support@new.vampire-wars.com NOT here.

Moderator: Azazel

pickle
Neonate

more log problems

Post by pickle »

Hi, I sent a post a few weeks back saying that I cant log on, I sent an email to vw_support but got no answer. I think my IP address may be blocked or something. Since I am at college, a lot of people share the same IP address..anyway you can check to see if I'm blocked?
Azazel
Admin

Post by Azazel »

I responded to the post you made. There was no response to my reply... so I''ll repost.

1. You need to email vw_support@mudder.net with this problem.
2. You need to put the name of your players character in your email - since there is no Pickle in the player directory.
3. You need to include your IP, if possible - since we have no idea of what your IP is - incidentally, the IP you used on the forums does not seem to be banned.

By the way - the name Pickle is illegal on the mud and the forums. Please create a new login using the character name you use on the mud.

Azazel
pickle
Neonate

Post by pickle »

I havn't been able to create a character...because I cannot connect to the MUD. I'd LIKE to start a char named Pickle. Right now, I have no char, and I can't connect for some reason. I emailed vw_support twice now with my IP address, still haven't recieved a response and i still can't connect.
Azazel
Admin

Post by Azazel »

Your IP is not banned.

Do not use pickle as a name. It's stupid. "Pickle the vampire" - you should use a name a human would have during the darkages. I find it very unlikely a human would be named pickle.

Azazel
pickle
Neonate

Post by pickle »

I haven't been able to play in over a month...so how about you worry bout the name when I can actually create one....til then, maybe you can try to figure out why i can't log on please?
Kaida
Admin

Post by Kaida »

One thought crossed my mind, is the port 6666 banned or closed at your institution? I know that this does happen. I guess try another address that uses 6666 to find out?
Ariak
Antediluvian
Clan: Brujah

Post by Ariak »

Some IP addresses could be banned internally, from the campus itself.
Try logging into the game from an outside source close to your institution; if you can play from there, then that means your campus is the one restricting your access.
Even death is not beyond corruption.
Azazel
Admin

Post by Azazel »

pickle wrote:I haven't been able to play in over a month...so how about you worry bout the name when I can actually create one....til then, maybe you can try to figure out why i can't log on please?
Let me get this straight... do you have a character or not???
I havn't been able to create a character...because I cannot connect to the MUD.
You haven't played in a month? How did you play if you didn't have a character?

Now - your IP isn't banned - so it's not MY problem. I would check with the sysadmin at your school.

Az
Felren
Ancilla

Post by Felren »

pickle wrote:I haven't been able to play in over a month...so how about you worry bout the name when I can actually create one....til then, maybe you can try to figure out why i can't log on please?
Excuse me for intruding, but where do you come off? The staff, Az in particular, have been very responsive to your issue. If you're trying to connect from a school, that's your first problem. Due to the LARGE amount of users and nodes on a network of that type, security is HEAVILY enforced.

What does that mean? In most cases, only the most used and/or needed ports are not blocked. This prevents students from downloading from shared services like WinMX, eMule, Direct Connect, etc. In other words, obtaining illegal software/files while using the campus network.

Without more intimate knowledge of their setup, you will not be able to connect. Nor will any of the sysadmins there care about your plight.

It's entirely possible there is another reason causing this issue for you, but in recent years (since all the lawsuits), many state and federal bodies have stepped up on stopping illegal activities on their networks.

Good luck, 'Pickle'
Fel
Azazel
Admin

Post by Azazel »

Felren wrote:
Excuse me for intruding, but where do you come off? The staff, Az in particular, have been very responsive to your issue.

-=SNIPPED=-

Fel
Heh - wow... this is sweet. A player stepping up in "defense" of mean old Az. As much as I appreciate it - you wasted your time with this. This isn't the average Joe trying to logon to play.

It's an old player (old old... from VW, not just classic) who has lied when it comes to simple questions. There is only 1 character that has ever logged on from his IP. The last time it logged on was September of 2005 - not last month. He DOES have a character and it is not named Pickle. I guess he has some distrust of the admin or some reason to try to hide who he is. All he had to do was be honest and it would have allowed me to pinpoint his problem with a lot more accuracy and quickness - but he didn't. Anyways, he wasn't banned or denied that I can see. He logged on fine one day, few days later couldn't connect. I don't know what the cause is - and at this point I don't really care.

If you'd said "This is X, I haven't logged on since Y" it would have been very easy for this to have been looked for - as it is, a fair bit of my valuable time has been wasted figuring out what to look for - so excuse me if I'm a bit past snippy.

Az
Felren
Ancilla

Post by Felren »

Azazel wrote:
Heh - wow... this is sweet. A player stepping up in "defense" of mean old Az. As much as I appreciate it - you wasted your time with this. This isn't the average Joe trying to logon to play.
Az
I assure you, my motives were and are entirely selfish. :) Wasted or not, my words weren't necessarily meant in a 'defense' of you or any other admin. I am well aware you don't need defending. However, as a member of this community and game, it irritates me when people have unnecessary attitudes with other members. Including mean ol' Az. And to that end, it's in all of our best interest to silence anyone who would otherwise affect, in a negative way, those who run the game...even those who simply play.

Just my thoughts...and I still stand behind the remainder of my former post. His issue clearly lies with the network he's connecting from, as you also mentioned.

<3
Fel
pickle
Neonate

Post by pickle »

Yes, i used to have chars here...but i believed i deleted them, if not, oh well. But i never said I DIDNT have a char, i said i'd like to start a new one. either way, ill see what I can do on my end, thanks for the help, sorry if i came off as an ***...it happens, hehe.
Ariak
Antediluvian

Post by Ariak »

hmm....
so you're stuck for more than ten years in college?
a college where everyone shares *your* ip address?
the best character name you can come up with is Pickle?
and your best line of defense is...."hehe"?

but hey, we believe you, good luck on trying to log on.....we'll be waiting :>
pickle
Neonate

Post by pickle »

i used to be gohan, and i played b4 when i was still at home, but haven't been able to log on to make a new char while in college.
Felren
Ancilla

Post by Felren »

pickle wrote:i used to be gohan, and i played b4 when i was still at home, but haven't been able to log on to make a new char while in college.
Your college should have some sort of paperwork on the ToS (Terms of Use) of their network. It may not be called that specifically, but someone in Administration should know. Within the document, it'll probably make reference to the certain types of traffic that are not allowed, in which you can conclude the structure/setup of the network (as far as firewall rules, protocols and such).

There are ways around these 'rules', but it's never legal without the permission of an 'official', which you'd never get. It's definitely lame, but I know a lot of people who deal with it at their colleges as well. Each one is different.

Good luck again,
Fel
Guthrie

Post by Guthrie »

Ariak wrote:hmm....
so you're stuck for more than ten years in college?
a college where everyone shares *your* ip address?
the best character name you can come up with is Pickle?
and your best line of defense is...."hehe"?

but hey, we believe you, good luck on trying to log on.....we'll be waiting :>

If he is playing on his college network then yes everyone would share the same IP address. Private Addressing :)
Ariak
Antediluvian

Post by Ariak »

depends entirely on the setup