Ways of the Beast

VW::Classic Helpdesk
This will house FAQs and general questions, player/admin alike.

IF you have a bug, report it via vw_support@new.vampire-wars.com NOT here.

Moderator: Azazel

Velglarn
Neonate

Ways of the Beast

Post by Velglarn »

Hi
I'm a newcomer to the VW::Classic MUD, and so far I've managed quite well.
I went all the way to getting immunities, killing mobs and even getting some spells on equipment (thanks clan) ;)

One thing I've been left wondering is the Beast.. the defining trait of Vampires, I might say.

Since I've been embraced, I noticed how much the light affects us vampires, and the ways available to control the Beast (casting heal, frenzying, etc).
I've managed to get my Beast to 0, and I'm enjoying the sun-free world that reaching Golconda gives us Vampires.
I know well (from the help files, actually) that instead having a "high" Beast would instead allow me to do even more damage, of course at the expense of being damaged more by the light.

I wonder if at my current "level" (1800 or so h/m/m) I should keep the Beast at 0, and enjoying the absence of damage from the light, or if I should instead focus on doing more damage with my hits, at the expense of damage from the light (I've seen in the region of 1/6 of my current HP disappearing because of the sun effects)...

Would you be so kind as to share any thoughts on the matter?
I presume that at higher "levels" (10k hp and the likes) the Sun would impact less on vampires, or is it instead always a matter of hp percentages?

Pardon me for my non-spellcheked post, as English is not my first language.
Velglarn, the new Toreador
Olé ;)
Dell
Antediluvian

Re: Ways of the Beast

Post by Dell »

Dont worry about the spellchecking..i doubt anyone but karik does it ;-]

but as for the beast, if u go with 100 beast, your gonna be losing around 50-60% of ur current hp each tick. From what i can tell it only takes about 40 mins to go from 0 beast to 100 beast, so probably the best thing to do would just be to try it, see how much of a damage bonus there is, see if its worth it for ya. most ppls seem to be at zero beast, and theres prolly a reason for it, but like i said..best to find out for urself =]
bair
Antediluvian
Clan: Toreador

Post by bair »

keep 0 beast for sure. losing half your hp every tick is far too detrimental to someone your size trying to bash. you would only be able to fight indoors as the extra damage you deal definitely does not make up for the damage you take outside.
korvecdal
Methuselah

Post by korvecdal »

and really how embarrasing would it be to space off and mort from sun damage.....lol

i generaly stick with 1 beast. i was told that there was a bonus at 100 beast , reg damage 1-99 an actualy less for golconda..

try keeping it at 0 but right befor a fight frenzy outside of CH to 1 beast
~^There Are Worlds Other Than These^~
Karik
Antediluvian

Post by Karik »

Beast is based off your HP.

Meaning, it takes a percentage of your HP each tick.

If you are 12k, expect your first hit from the sun to do at least 50% dmg to you, meaning a sudden drop to 6k or less. Each mud tick afterwards will take another 50% or more from your remaining HP, so if your at 6k after the first hit of sun, the 2nd hit of sun on the next mud tick will drop you to 3k or lower, and 1.5k next time...ect.

I am not sure of the actual percentage, but it is VERY steep for 100 % beast.

Personally, I think it would be good to change the beast a little, when you cap someone when your beast 0 (Golcanda) your beast will go to 1, which is fine, but I think it should make you Berserk at that point when it happens....be funny if that happened in temple with people all around ....{chuckles}

Another thought is at 100 Beast it should give you bigger benefits in PK, but also have bigger flaws, like at 100 beast you would randomly have a chance of berserking at anytime, depending on what is going on around you. If your swamped by mobs on a run, and your 100 beast, you could have a chance of berserking on everyone on the run. Beserking i think should be similiar ot a spell type of 'affect', more than frenzy. Frenzy I think increases HR/DR by 10 but decreases AC by 100. Berserking I think should be more than that, increasing HR/DR to say 20/20 or 25/25, but taking major hit to AC, making AC drop 500.

High beast at your size will not make a big difference, nothing your going to notice a real big effect from. I would keep your beast to 0 for the time being due to the fact you will still need to bash in areas full of sun, and you will need to quest, which means venturing into the sun.

I wouldn't suggest beasting until you were fully quested, unless your adept at hunting and moving in the night, watching the time on the mud to see when it is dark and when it gets light, and possibly having Obtenebration (shadow) to get around in shadow during the day.
~Karik

-I had an imaginary playmate who bullied me constantly until I shoved him into the lake and held his head under. When the bubbles stopped I felt immensely relieved. The bastard had been making my life hell for years.
Rikus
Methuselah
Clan: Nosferatu

Post by Rikus »

If you got skillz, beast it up.

The damage taken by the sun at full beast is considerably more than 50%. I just tested it out: lost ~71% health.

Learn the right areas to bash, quest at night and don't pk people in the sun. Beast is your friend; it will help you bash harder and kick more *** in pk.