Why are you bored?

VW::Classic Helpdesk
This will house FAQs and general questions, player/admin alike.

IF you have a bug, report it via vw_support@new.vampire-wars.com NOT here.

Moderator: Azazel

Azazel
Admin

Why are you bored?

Post by Azazel »

The question is in reference to the mud:

I know problem #1 is no active players. What led to that?

I'm well aware that lack of an active and visible admin TEAM is a major factor (I know there are a couple of admin who are semi-active but a couple don't make a team).

I'm well out of the loop on a lot of things - but I'm curious, so humor me.

Az
bair
Antediluvian
Clan: Toreador

Re: Why are you bored?

Post by bair »

honestly ive made one too many 2000 word posts with billions of brilliant suggestions to waste my time with another to have it not even considered. if you can dig up old threads on here then please look at my posts because my ideas are awesome, they were in the other subforums, i think karik/dell might have been the author of one huge thread with tons and tons of suggestions. what it really boils down to is that the mud is extremely repetitive, and it gets even more repetitive when you are bigger, because there is only 1 good place to bash and very little status, therefore boredom increases exponentially with size and status. if you can find my old thread on remorting i think it pretty much solves that problem in there.
Karik
Antediluvian

Post by Karik »

I don't believe there is a way he can look at the old posts bair.

I think php (forums) has it set to a certain amount of days or inactivity to the posts and then wipes it.

If Admin want to know ways to make things better, hit them with as much info as you can.

It is rare we get much interaction with admin on the forums, so I figure when they ask, give them an earful.

{chuckles}

I do agree there has to be more than your basic hack and slash, bash and quest part of the mud.

There is not enough for the old / bigger players to do, so mainly they only log on to check on status and then log off.

Bair give a rundown on your remort idea for big players so he understands what your wanting for yourself...lol

Cause if they want to know, and they are asking, maybe things are going to get done.
~Karik

-I had an imaginary playmate who bullied me constantly until I shoved him into the lake and held his head under. When the bubbles stopped I felt immensely relieved. The bastard had been making my life hell for years.
Dell
Antediluvian

Post by Dell »

I think the repeatativeness is to be expected in any mud..its hard to get around. I just think it's annoying when the repeat bashing for 4 hours only gets you 10 across once your decent size. I think it'd be good to keep stat cost at 2:1 ratio like it is when you just start, but not double again once you hit 10k and 20k. Granted...more people will max out at 25K, but that just means there will be a lot of status flowing up there..and people wont be afraid to fight, say..nommy for status.

Aside from that..I think there needs to be more quests aimed towards EVERYONE not just the biggest players on the mud who can kill the super mob fastest (although those are fun)
Games like trivia, a race, a riddle, something involving skill instead of strength.

This might be too much of an extreme change...but people should gain exp per hit, or at least per round. In reality, you dont learn everything after the fight is done..you adapt and grow during the fight..so exp should be gained that way, the longer the fight, and the more damage delt/taken should = more exp. EG If i start a fight at 20k hp, the fight takes FOREVER and i get knocked all the way down to 500 hp at the end...i should gain like 2 mill exp. Should all be in comparison to your size and strength

And like bair was saying...allow people to remort at like 15-20k.....sorta like a reincarnation if you will. You get to keep all of your equipment and everything, except you get taken back down to 100 hp/mana/move. Except this time, maybe your base hit/dam isnt 2/4, but like 10/15? and/or perhaps you get access to new spells/stances?

Heres a fun idea...when you first start...the exp cost to stat ratio is 1:1 once you get up to 20k, you can reincarnate with that stat boost thing, except the ratio would be 2:1, just a crazy idea i guess.

Also..PK can get dull...it just seems like who can get the luckiest with curse/flee wins. maybe add some variety in there, maybe other moves (not spells) that can be done with certain weapons/weapon types that stun/damage. Like crushing weapons knock the wind out of you and ur stunned for 2 rnds, whipping weapons make one of ur arms go numb and you can only use 1 weap for like 3 rnds or something. Of course these skills would have to be limited, and the drawback is...the weapon that allows you to do the skill sucks? so you gotta do it and switch back quickly, maybe 1 rnd lag on it.

None of this at all is a complaint, just what I see that could be changed around to make it more fun, just need a bit more variety, everyone getting everything the same gets...dull.

But...im about to go see batman...so im outta here!
Dell
Antediluvian

Post by Dell »

Oh, and I think the rules with war/fighting should go back to how they were, admin only step in if someone goes over the torsoe limit. If someone gets staked 32 times in a day...theres probably a good reason for it and they should apologize until it stops
tegor
Methuselah

Post by tegor »

I agree with Dell. Its not that we dont like all you admin. Its that players tend to be happy when they feel like they have power. when admin have to step in it makes us realize we have none. Its like sending a kid into a candy store with a $100 bill but then telling him halfway into all the **** he's ordered... that he cant spend more then $5. Well, maybe not quite the exact same thing..but im stoned and its close enough. But yeah... more of what everyone else has been saying. the game starts off repetitive and just becomes more so as you continue. One thing that I think would really help... is having more eq runs. More specifically, I feel that there should be more then one option for the "best" piece of eq. there should be a little variety. Maybe make make sets that can give bonuses when you have all or part of the set... the bonuses could have a variety of different uses... some could be more geared for pk, some more geared towards bashing... And by bonuses, I dont just mean hit/dam/ac/save... Im talkin more like... specific abilities that are unique to that piece of eq or set. It just gets boring seeing everyone turn into the same character. Eventually everyone has the same gear, quested pretty much the same as everyone else. Another thing regarding eq... people almost always go from having newbie eq to all the usual **** clans give their youngins and then slowly upgrade the last few pieces as they get bigger. Well, how about having runs designed for smaller players(provides more of a dungeon crawling experience..which tends to be quite addictive regardless of how much fun the player is having.. its rather weird that way...) the only problem with this is they'd be pointless compared to the eq any clan would get you upon joining. So I have an idea... It'll probably be rather unpopular, but we'll see.
size reqs for all eq. That way, you'll progressively improve your equipment... on a more regular basis, as you get bigger. It also will force us to look for other equipment and make use of all those hundreds if not thousands of pieces of equipment out there that people only know by name from questing. I personaly feel like a pwipe and changing of some of the eq stats would be necassary for this to work smoothly... And lastly... i feel like loot should be randomized to a degree. nothing insane... in fact, i know that it already is slightly. but maybe even the hit/dam should get randomized to a degree... maybe a chance of having the stats of any given eq randomly higher or lower then normal.

One other thing that I feel would enhance the game is... alternate questing for large players. higher qp rewards then normal for doing specific tasks assigned by npc's in VERY hard areas. tasks could include... slaying a beast and returning proof... retrieving "the dragons treasure" or some **** like that... pretty much the same type of **** really.. except harder, better rewards... and no quest machine. quest npc's would give rewards on the spot.

Anyways.. just my 2 cents.. i dont expect everyone to agree with my ideas... just throwin them out there.
tegor
Methuselah

Post by tegor »

removing caps on size and making it easier to grow would also be a cool improvement.. the remort idea is cool and all.. but ive played games with a variety of different remort systems and IMHO... they just dont work as well as they seem like they should. I mean..they do what they're meant to do...which is extending gameplay without making it slow down to a crawl... But I dunno... whatever
I Hate Humans
bair
Antediluvian

Post by bair »

remorting = when you hit 10k you have the ability to reincarnate and start over stats-wise, but keep everything else. there would be issues with the players that are currently over 10k, but i have all of that worked out mathematically.
Rules:
1. You keep EVERYTHING except your stats which will be reduced to 100 across.
2. There is some sort of payment required, like 5 million gold + 100 primal + 2000qp or something. It needs to be difficult and diverse, remember we are trying to spice the mud up.
3. You must be 10k or above.
4. You can remort a total of the total available disciplines minus 5, assuming the nod quest is removed (these figures are only effective if more disciplines are added), at which point you can grow to whatever size you want. You will be given some sort of title to distinguish yourself. The amount of remorts a player has (or his title if he has max remorts) will be displayed by his status in the who list. These players with max remorts will be granted some sort of admin-like skill that allows him to move from area to area extremely quickly, pretty much a goto command. This will not work for noport areas and will be effected by curse the same way recall is. A player who has remorted 6 times deserves something like this; the time it takes is a long fuckin time. It won't hurt anybody to let the players have a little fun.
5. The exp code will remain the same. (I need some more time to think about this one. Part of me wants to remove the 10k double exp thing altogether).
6. Players who are currently over 10k and wish to remort will be granted a ONE TIME exception to gain multiple remorts considering their total exp gained. This is only for CURRENT players over 10k. Any player who reaches 10k afterwards will only be able to remort one time simultaneously even if they are 20k. If there is a way to look at a player's total experience then there will obviously be some sort of simple equation to determine how many remorts you will get. Anyways, assuming that is not the case, it will work like so:
ex: Player is 15k, thats 10k of exp in single exp, and 5k of exp in double exp, which is the equivalent of earning another 10k worth of exp, giving you a total of 20k across, therefore this player will remort twice exactly.
ex: Player is 14k, thats 10k (1 remort) + 4k of double exp (4000*2=8000 single exp across), this player will remort one time and be 8000 across, able to remort again at 10k of course.
ex: Player is 25k, 10k (1 remort) + (10000*2=20000, 2 remorts) + (5000*4=20000, 2 remorts) = 5 remorts.
ex: Player is 19k, 10k (1 remort) + (9000*2=18000, 1 remort with 8000 left over) = 2 remorts + 8000 across.
ex: 20k, 10k (1 remort) + (10000*2, 2 remorts) = 3 remorts
So basically 10k = 1 remort, 15k = 2 remorts, 20k = 3 remorts, 22500 = 4 remorts, 25000 = 5 remorts.
Remember you can only use this system one time. After that any size you get beyond 10k is just extra size and will not be used towards future remorts. Some players will not remort, that is fine. Some players will remort once or twice and then just grow past 10k and not do it anymore, that is fine. Some players will remort 5+ times.
7. Upon remorting, players will deal 10% more damage on all attacks, spells included.
8. Upon remorting, players will be dealt 7.5% less damage on all attacks, spells included. (I'm still debating these values)
9. Upon remorting, players will be able to choose from an extra clan discipline. In my opinion the nod quest should be changed to have a new ending not involving the gaining of a discipline.

I just thought of all that again because I lost my original copy, so some changes may have been made when considering the numbers, consider the concept instead.
Last edited by bair on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bair
Antediluvian

Post by bair »

Other suggestions (i'm editing and adding on so dont get mad if i put your idea or a variation of your idea):
1. Remove the size restrictions to get into areas. Instead implement a "glory point" system which is a number figured by some weighted combination of size, status, and remorts. This restriction can be used liberally on entering zones, equipping items, and going on solo quests (another feature I will speak about).
2. Create solo quests which are for single players. Its pretty much a single person instance in WoW or your first class quest in LoTRO.
3. Fix the clan gold balance so it transfers through crashes, and it has no limit. Any clan member may deposit in the bank, but only 3rd gen can withdrawal.
4. Allow clans to purchase things for their clanhall with gold. These things would include clan hall healers which cast upgradeable versions of bless/darkbless/armor etc... These will be upgraded by a purchase made with gold. These should eventually be greater than any player's spells if good teamwork is utilized to earn gold. Other things you could purchase would be like permanent weapon racks with a certain amount of space, the contents of which will transfer through crashes. It would definitely be nice and make a lot of sense that I could get a bunch of large hammers and put them in a weapon rack in my clanhall and have them stay there.
5. More quests, and I am NOT talking about quests with a huge *** maze where everybody just goes in and gets full torsoed 100 times until everything dies. I am talking about games like hot potato, something anybody can be good at. And make the prizes very good but not a permanent lifespan. If the item is so good that it shifts status around, so be it. The player deserves that for winning the quest, don't be a baby because you got capped by someone way smaller than you with a sweet *** sword.
6. Clan disciplines should be able to be changed at will, at a cost of course. 100 primal sounds fair to me. Its pretty ridiculous that I am stuck with my six disciplines unless I want to go on another nod run, which is absolutely impossible with our current player base.
7. Autoclaim needs to be used MUCH less liberally, it should only be used on the best of the best. Poons/IOs/Chitin etc should not be autoclaimed. It should be replaced with a no-gift flag, which should be used very liberally. This provides a good distribution between the ease of getting mediocre eq and the imbalanced sharing of eq. Ex: Poons should not be autoclaim, but they should not be giftable; this ensures no abuse. I like the auto-recall on these items though to avoid stocking. Add glory point restrictions to most of the good items. We need a system of progression for EQ, which is what makes the glory system perfect. If you only have 100 glory points, you're using chitin greaves. When you get to 200, congratulations, you can use shynbalds. No offense, but our EQ runs are not good. The primary focus is fleeing. Also, I find it a bit odd that my 85 year old alt has the same EQ as my destroyer, weapons aside. That should say something about the necessity of a new system. The 85 year old and the destroyer should literally have different eq in every slot shouldn't they?
8. Fix the mount/maze/underwater/whateveritis follow glitch that causes you to move multiple rooms instead of one.
9. Repair system is junk. EQ should have a way greater lifespan. Do you know how much hard work you can lose just because you run into some aggro mob? I shouldn't be able to lose a fully quested piece of eq from two rounds. OR the EQ could not break at all, it doesn't really make sense that when our EQ breaks it is just gone forever, and there are no scraps. When EQ breaks it should simply be rendered useless until taken to a blacksmith to fix.
10. Why do we need a token to put color in our titles? COLOR COLOR COLOR. Put color everywhere. Let us customize our characters.
11. Sort the who list by status then remorts.
12. Swap the summon lag for PvP. The person doing the summoning should have the advantage, not the other way around. Give the offensive player the advantage. How am I supposed to hunt someone when they can just recall when I summon?
13. More damage descriptions. Put color in them, make them funny. Make people actually feel a sense of accomplishment when they -==******* DECIMATE==-- someone.
14. More clandiscs. There needs to be a healing discipline so people can add a variety to the group. Smaller players can actually help on runs. It is pretty ridiculous that we don't have any effective healing spells for use in combat. Included in this would be a regeneration skill, its pretty shitty that a lost limb in a nospell zone can ruin a run. Wands sucks, healing disciplines are sweet. A bashing discipline would be great too. Blast of gas should not be the best AoE skill. We also need more variety than casting fireball over and over in PvP. Give us a skill thats good with a 10 second cooldown or something. This skill could even be something that you have to purchase and is upgradeable.
15. Ok so does anybody know what good serpent and mist form is? Why are these skills in the game when the only good they serve is for someone with dominate to **** you. Please make these skill useful. Dominate is also way overpowered, you shouldn't be able to win a fight solely from it. Make it balanced so we can get rid of our aliases. I still stand firm that age should have no impact on playability.
16. Fix blackdeath self. I shouldn't be able to blackdeath myself period, glitched or not. When I envision blackdeathing someone, it wouldn't be possible to do it to myself.
17. We need more good eq. If you improve the already existing EQ (almost all of it is awful) and assign glory points to them so that people can always go get a new better eq when they cap someone/grow in size it will provide a much more enjoyable dynamic. Honestly, if you were a new player and your justicar just took 15 minutes to get your EQ for every slot that is at the most like 1 hit/1 dam worse than the best eq in the game, would you really have much to look forward to? Its baffling that we actually spend 50 hours questing created eq just to squeeze out an extra 10 hit/dam total.
18. Newbie eq is too good. I should not be able to clear elemental canyon and fairy fields with ease within 30 minutes of playing the game. EQ progression would take care of this itself.
19. Players league...what on earth do mob deaths have to do with anything? Please remove mob deaths and mob kills. The fact that lastaris is ranked #5 on the league can attest to the nothingness these two stats bring to the table. The players league should also be able to be viewed on the MUD, and your rank should be in your finger information.
20. Beast....its not balanced. Personally I don't like the concept, but I believe that if it needs to stay then the 100 beast issue obviously needs to be addressed because you gain like 3% damage and lose about 99% effective hit points. Regardless, frenzy should not raise beast, that is just another random thing with no reasoning behind it to make us suck more.
21. More buff spells. Haste (+1 attack per round), camouflage (-100 ac), adrenaline (+10 DR), etc..
22. A discipline which revolves around buff skills which can be used on yourself and others. Smaller players with this discipline could help the group tremendously if they are the only one with that discipline.
23. Stop the locking of the gates of midgaard at night time. It is just some annoying time consumption. The mayor would never physically lock the gates, the guards would. And this key would never be sold to the public at the locksmith. At least make passdoor work.
24. If we are getting more legit power, we should probably fix the power we receive from the games glitches. Remove the brief time we have to get 5 regens in after we kill the mob we are focusing when fighting a large group, where it takes us out of combat.
25. Vexens idea for more EQ slots is awesome, especially the light (which should be upgradeable btw with hit/dam)
26. Add %-to-drop EQ runs. There should be eq that is ******* amazing that has a .5% chance to drop. These should not be ridiculously hard to do or get to. Ythaca is about the perfect difficulty for one IMO.
27. Identify justicars on the who list. The only people who know about the command who justicar are the ones who already know who the justicars are.
28. Vexen's deities are cool, they should be clan specific because they dont have much variety and we pretty much have nothing clan specific for the time being.
29. We need more zones for all levels. Like at least 15 more. They dont have to be some cool aesthetic zone. I don't care if its 6x6 with the same room name and description in all of them. As long as each room has 5 no-sanc friendly mobs.
30. Add new items to the qlist. We should be able to buy already built good items w/ stats on them for anywhere between 50 and 20000 qp. They won't necessarily be the best for that slot. Some slots will be good for only people with very low glory points, while some slots will cost a shitload of qp and require glory points equaling hero status and 3 remorts and the item will be ******* awesome.
31. Make lion much better than grizzlie attack-wise so it becomes viable to use when not tanking. If there are three people fighting 1 mob, 1 of which is in swallow tanking all the hits, the other 2 are in lion, those 2 should be thrashing as he should be rather defenseless.
32. Fix blackdeath self.
33. Make the round times fixed. It makes no sense when you have wait 20 seconds sometimes for a round to go.
34. Add in an autoassist toggle command to toggle whether or not you automatically assist in a fight when you are grouped.
35. Add group buff spells, such as group heal, group bless, group darkbless, etc.
Last edited by bair on Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Vexen
Methuselah

Post by Vexen »

This should probably go in the building section, but seeing as we're issuing complaints and suggestions:

JANITORIAL DUTIES

We need a real bank. Not some random *** room in dwarven catacombs that no one, and I do mean No One, would be able to find without exact directions from a seasoned player.

Int, Wis, and Con don't do anything. At least not to the extent outlined by the help file.

Justicars and Admin should be readily identifiable on the WHO list -- Admin only when they are visible. But when these individuals ARE visible, newbies and the like should be able to type who and know so immediately.

The Area list needs to be updated and resorted alphabetically, and on a similar note, the Where command should show you which Area you are in.

The League should be cleaned up. Anyone with a negative score does not belong on the league. -520k points is not something that should be commended with a spot on this list.

EQ LOCATION IDEAS

We should have an 'eq' location for a light source. Having to give up a weapon to hold a ball of light is ridiculous. It makes training weaps, bashing at night, and other newbie stuff tedious. And don't ask "How would you hold a light source while u'r wielding 2 weapons?" Let's keep in mind that we can have a container and 10 or so items in our "inventory".

Earrings...worn "on our head"? Really? We need a separate spot for those too. And more of them.

TO STIR THINGS UP

You sacrifice “The earrings of Solace” and they disintegrate into a fine powder. Cool...but who/what are we sacrificing them to? Who gives me the 100 gold? Who thinks bashing around the catacombs and seeing 104 wings of a slayer on the ground is kind of an eyesore? Let’s make a point to cleaning up the **** on the ground:
Give us something to sacrifice all that stuff to: a deity, or several for that matter. Let us choose one and have specific bonuses that we can enjoy for being in good favor with them.

Sacrifice stuff, cap/stake people, complete quests, kill mobs--gain favor. Escape, get capped/staked, flee too often, change deities--lose favor.
High favor lets you purchase or "supplicate" for good stuff:
Supplicate recall: recall from battle or curse or norecall- except when pktimer is engaged
Supplicate sigil: you get a deity-specific item (light source) with specific bonuses
Maybe one has 5 hitroll, another 5 damroll, one -50 ac, another -4 saves. Those would be permanent.
Other deities could have temporary/timed ones. One lets you cross water without a mount; another casts heal or cure poison on everyone in the room like a staff in nospell areas. Maybe it lets you interact across planes. These would be temporary and go poof like timed thalesia items.
Another idea for this would be Clan-Specific deities. This way each clan can indeed be unique. If we’re making clandis easier to change and NOT clan specific, then at least the deities and sigils could offer clan variety.

Devote [deity]; default favor = 0
Supplicating would use up favor (max favor = 100). Sigil costs 90favor, recall costs 50. Obviously gaining favor has to be slow. It’s not like u sac a corpse and gain 1 favor. Low favor = bad effects. You can supplicate to -10 favor, and fleeing, escaping, getting capped and staked can slowly bring u down to negatives. Whenever you get into negative favor however, you go blind for a short period (5 ticks or whatever).
Ex: favor = 40: u supplicate recall, favor = -10 and temporary blindness kicks in (truesight has no effect on this, to make it so everyone is affected and vulnerable).
If your favor goes under -10 you hit 5% less often, and under -20, -5% exp also.
If u escape or are capped: -10 favor; u’re staked: -5 favor; u flee: -1 favor; change deity: -100 favor (if deities aren’t clan specific) FLEEING = -1 favor...this makes things interesting with respect to pk (no more 3hour arenas) and runs. Only problem I would see with this is the whole blood-viper fleeing area in NOD. Maybe there could be area-related exceptions.

This has been brought up, but questing for experience would be nice to break up the tedium of bashing. Also, questing for armor points or war points or what have you. Purchase APs with QPs and then buy armor upgrades from admin. Only available after some status level: warrior?
500qp's = 1 AP or whatever. 1 HR or 1 DR or -10AC costs 1AP. Max of 2AP spent per piece of armor (not weapons?). This way, there will be variety in how players decide to build themselves. Will someone go all hitroll, all damroll, or balanced? Currently the only decisions we can really make to this end is with weapon runes, and the difference is for all intents and purposes, imperceptible.

Everyone wears the same eq. Everyone quests the same stats on their eq. Lets’ bring back in the importance of alignment. This stat should have a significant impact on characters considering its role-playing nature. We don't need to include the role-playing aspect, but it should definitely make our characters different.
Let’s start with the best items: quest(run) items like shynbalds, talons, etc. So you wanna wear demonic symbols for the saves? Then you better be evil.
Talons of Diablo? Evil. Slayers? Good. I know - slayers are not as powerful as talons, but that is the point. An evil and a good char should not be wearing the same eq. If it turns out that the best evil-aligned neck-eq has higher saves, then perhaps the good-aligned alternative has better -ac.
Good guys have more trouble cursing or landing fireball on evil chars. Fine, well then the evil guys have more difficulty landing physical damage on the good guys.
These anti-alignment qualities of the items cannot be removed by questing. In other words, they shouldn't be flags, but actual item qualities/mods.
Going back to deities, perhaps you can only devote to a deity if you are of the correct alignment.

The Element Of Choice is what makes the game interesting.
Role-playing games are addictive because of the adventuring and exploring, and godwars for the prospect of being the best. But the MOST IMPORTANT THING to understand is the fact that it is the limitations imposed by our choices that make us want to keep trying new things. The ability to customize your character and replay the game with different outcomes/objectives, new eq you couldn’t wear the last time around (remort!), is what makes people continue to play and replay. Choices, paired with limitations, need to be present in the game. Deities, clans, alignments, armor points, etc…these are just a few ways to introduce it.

-Vexen
Azazel
Admin

Post by Azazel »

Ok....

Well, Ideas/suggestions weren't necessarily what I was looking for but I'll take them. I wasn't so much wanting to know how to fix what was broken - just what was broken.

But don't stop - feel free to post suggestions as well. Just don't get upset if we don't comment on them. :>

Az
Ariak
Antediluvian
Clan: Brujah

Post by Ariak »

Actually, why bother remorting?
Take off the qpoint cap on all items, and there'd be worlds of fun left.

We'd then have the:
a. Whacker - high hit/dam rolls, sucky ac, low HP, one-hit wonder (and it goes bothways)
b. Meatshield - high ac, high HP, low hit/dam, hard-to-kill (again, bothways)
c. Joe - just about "fair" distribution of everything, also has a fair chance of killing (or be killed) by anything

Oh, yeah, break the power limit on weapon spell power, so i can add:
d. Pyromaniac - why bother with physical attributes when you can KA-BOOM everything into the next millenia? (oh yeah....right, you need to survive first hit first....oh well)

Regarding Admin/Player interaction:
a. It used to be like:
Player: "Oi! Admin there? I think blahblahblah is broke, could you look into this?"
Admin: "ok, thanks for the info, here, have a cookie"

b. Now:
Player: "Bair's a naggot!"
Admin: "No, you are!" *slay*
Bair: "Wtf's a naggot?"
Admin: "You are!" *slay*

....i mean, really....what *is* a naggot? :roll:
Even death is not beyond corruption.
bair
Antediluvian

Post by bair »

thank you, ariak, for the worst post ever made on any forum. please think before you type so our ideas are actually taken seriously.
damien
Elder
Clan: Malkavian

Post by damien »

I hope someone, i.e. admin, read Bair's post. It is long but full of sound ideas. It seems as if both the player base and the admin is making a small revival. I have seen quite a bit of players sign on then off again. sometimes you just need to sit around.
The Tiny Old Man of Malkavian
Ariak
Antediluvian

Post by Ariak »

funnily enough, Bair, your ideas are all seen on other muds already, come up with something original eh? :roll:
Azazel
Admin

Post by Azazel »

Now now, let's not get into that. There's no reason to start any arguments.

Anyways - keep the complaints coming. I'm all ears.

Az
bair
Antediluvian

Post by bair »

Ariak wrote:funnily enough, Bair, your ideas are all seen on other muds already, come up with something original eh? :roll:
irrelevant considering no mud was created from scratch, including VW, much of it is unoriginal. midgaard for example. sorry if 2 of my 34 comments were variations from something i saw on another mud manipulated to fit VW myself.
Valynn
Elder

Post by Valynn »

It doesn't matter if they are original or not.

What matters is if it is something you would like to see added or adjusted.

Ideas are ideas.
Azazel
Admin

Post by Azazel »

This thread is more for "broken" or "unbalanced". Feel free to make another thread for ideas or suggestions.

Az
Ariak
Antediluvian

Post by Ariak »

well, i got my 2 cents in, not half as interesting as the 34 dollar propaganda, but oh well.
someone (who apparently can't take a joke) obviously wanted to get heard and prioritized :roll:
Dell
Antediluvian

Post by Dell »

There should be more player interaction with mobs. Sorta like Cain in that one area i forgot the name of. You do quests for mobs and they reward you. Some mobs may just request things than spit in your face afterwards. Or even just add some humurous things, random mobs chatting here and there, cool little things you have to figure out to make them give you things? Its just bland seeing mobs only walking...not doing anything. Maybe they can kill each other while no one is around? Then That mob absorbs the exp from the other mob, so when a player kills it it gets twice as much exp? thatd be cool.
Sonja
Antediluvian
Clan: Tremere

Post by Sonja »

I got bored of bashing. Pure and simple. I think I've been 19k for like two years now?
ghnat
Antediluvian

Post by ghnat »

the main issue is that as you grow in size, instead of becoming more powerful vs the mobs you fight you stay the same from 10k all the way through to 25k whereas the mobs you kill get harder and harder so that they give full xp still and on top on that the xp needed gets larger and larger. so in short make eq runs for 20k plus people that actually give good eq and really if you think about it a 1k player has almost exactly the same eq as a 25k person. which is fairly shite. but rather than punish smaller people with size reqs for eq why not reward larger people with some buff eq. say a 15k + run for 2 items that gives extra 2 hit dam on top on normal eq. then say a 20K + run that gives + 2 hit dam to 2 different pieces of eq and finally a special item at 25k that adds something cool but that would take more than 1 person to run it so that people strive to attain certain size lvls that sort of increase in hit dam would mean sweet **** all when you consider the increase in difficulty of mobs at that size and the pk aspect doesn't matter because if someone isn't your size they are going to go down like a sack of **** anyway.
Iori
Elder

Post by Iori »

I'd like to see something done with disciplines. Have them grow stronger through use or age depending upon the nature of the discipline or maybe by gen (although that would require clans to regulate who gets what gen, i.e. only justis at 3rd gen, maybe have this regulated internally or by something that's set down by admin. I can't really see any difference between 3rd and 4th gen anyways except you get to see what other 3rd gens stats are, could be wrong on that but if there is a difference i haven't noticed it). I could be wrong, cause I've done way too many drugs since then, but when I used to play V:TM lower gen chars had stronger/more effective discs. Maybe have new disc abilities unlock with gen and/or time or by completing some kind of task, with difficulty determined by usefulness of the ability. Maybe even tie that stuff into single player NPC quests to prevent some abuse. I'd also like to see more of the V:TM discs if possible. Vissicitude anyone (misspelled it I'm sure) or some of the other Sabbat variant disciplines (maybe have these affected by alignment as to whether or not you can use them or have them switch from one to the other based on that). Or maybe bonus' to discs based on what clan you are based on the normal clandiscs listings from V:TM. I'd have to go digging but I could prob come up with an old book or two to help with this if admin is interested and doesnt have access to the material.

I also agree that chars have become too similar and anything we could do to increase customization would be awesome.

Oh yeah. This might remove some of what separates us from other muds but what about introducing classes? Allow chars to switch classes after completing the skill set but as to how to implement it I'm not sure. Maybe go with an AP type thing like Bair was suggesting, sorry to whoever if it wasn't him, required to purchase upgrades. Maybe have it make the things in prac more effective (i.e. make steal and pick lock actually effective if your a thief) or add some new unique skills. I think it would add a bit to the customization factor although eventually bigger chars would end up with all the same stuff anyways. Shrug. Might make it a bit more fun for newbs and give us biggies something more to do.

Also please please please fix kick. Maybe have its dam go up by whatever every K or so. That way we have something to do in those no spell areas rather just watching and waiting for the mobs to die. Maybe an uppercut with a 5% chance of knocking the mob down would be cool (take that ogre!), although maybe make that a class skill or something.

Anyways that was a little long but I'm just brainstorming.
Kanyon
Methuselah

Post by Kanyon »

the problem is the big people make it to easy for the smaller chars to get the great eq that a char should get once they are big enough to get, but on that thought another reason is that the bigger chars are usually only out for themselves and arent really interested in helping the smaller chars so then the smaller chars get frustrated and dont know what to do so they give up and quit and go somewhere else. The new areas and new eq is a great start. I know people have lives cause I actually do now, but the bigger chars need to log more often then they do and not just log to check for status and then leave.
bair
Antediluvian

Post by bair »

it still isnt easy enough to bash. it shouldnt take 50 billion hours to get to 25k. this is a text game, there are no graphics, lets not make it more difficult than it should be. its not like wow where killing **** is somewhat amusing because you can at least see it. like ghnat said, you kill the same damn mobs from 10k-25k, do you know how fuckin long that is? and all our runs are 10 hours long to get some minute difference, like 2 hit/dam actually makes a difference in a fight, the majority of damage is done by spells which you max out when you are 20 mud years old. takes 10 hours to finish a weapon rune that makes no difference.
Sonja
Antediluvian

Post by Sonja »

Because of low pbase we could split up into sabbat and camarilla?
Dell
Antediluvian

Post by Dell »

Splitting into two clans would be fun
Sonja
Antediluvian

Post by Sonja »

bair wrote:it still isnt easy enough to bash. it shouldnt take 50 billion hours to get to 25k. this is a text game, there are no graphics, lets not make it more difficult than it should be. its not like wow where killing **** is somewhat amusing because you can at least see it. like ghnat said, you kill the same damn mobs from 10k-25k, do you know how fuckin long that is? and all our runs are 10 hours long to get some minute difference, like 2 hit/dam actually makes a difference in a fight, the majority of damage is done by spells which you max out when you are 20 mud years old. takes 10 hours to finish a weapon rune that makes no difference.
These are all big issues aswell.

Certain sizes could unlock certain *new spells*, or simply 'faerie fire - rank 2' of some sort.
New disciplines really should be implemented. Lots of ideas have been put out over the years on here, it's a shame they're all deleted now. I came up with a spellbook slot where there would be different spellbooks that would boost certain spells your cast or give you access to some sort of new combat spell.

Because spells don't cost much mana and it's easy to run away and spam regen quite quickly, we could up mana costs on spells, or implement more powerful spells which would obviously cost significantly more and put in 'mana batteries' which you would hold and your spells would drain the mana from the batteries, and if you run out of juice you'd have to recharge it (somehow) and you wouldn't be able to cast the stronger spells i was talking about earlier as much or as efficiently. I don't know. Just ideas im pulling out of my asskie.

toodaloo.
bair
Antediluvian

Post by bair »

bump.
cyan
Ancilla
Clan: Gangrel

Post by cyan »

Thanks for bumping this Bair. I hadn't seen it before, and I see a lot of good ideas roaming around.

Repetition is probably the top boredom creator.

Although there are barely any parents of younger children playing the game than used to, the several hour long EQ runs are a buzz kill. I'm not saying that it should be easy, but people with small children can't/don't stay logged in for hours upon end. The realization hits that they won't really ever be getting the better eq. This leads to disappointment and boredom, and they roam off to other games.

Solo Quests - This is a great idea, for a few reasons. One of the biggest pbase killers is when someone new or smaller comes along or returns to the game during a dry spell or at a time when few people are playing and considerate enough to help. I've seen 2k players be told "Walk to Bathory and I'll port to you".... Um. Riiiiiiiiight. So the 2k player, even a nice guy, can't get anyone to help, makes a new card, and repeats on the next same item in a big area. He's totally at the mercy of the bigger player for quite some time. There needs to be a way that will allow smaller players to quest with some more self suffiency.

Clan Banks - Allowing clans to purchase something useful for their clan that doesn't give them a huge edge is a thought. I liked the "weapon rack" idea that Bair had mentioned.

Repair System - Make a repair NPC! As I've seen and done before, instead of being removed from the game, the broken equipment splits into two parts, rendered temporarily useless. The player takes the broken EQ and for a fraction of the qp quested on it (or primal/gold/a certain item) and the mob puts the broken piece of EQ back together. This eliminates the need for smaller players to have to ask someone to take them to get certain pieces over and over. Instead of inconveniencing 2 players, an NPC of this sort would make it so only 1 player is likely to be inconvenienced.

Summon lag - Please get rid of it.

Do identify the justicars on the who list! - The total noob, as similarly mentioned, has no idea to type "who justicar" to find one if they wish/need to speak to one. I've seen recently when some newer/smaller players arrive and they want to ask about different clans before deciding to avatar or join one, they get told "wait... they will come to you".

Qlist - At this point in time, due to the current EQ/items available with mobs, this is somewhat useless. Please consider adding new/different items to this.

So why else are we bored?

During dry spells, asides from the above mentioned, and at higher status levels.... Just bleugh. There needs to be some way to further status along , even if it's not easy to achieve. I believe a mob that can make a player gain status/take status had been mentioned.

Just my thoughts
bair
Antediluvian

Post by bair »

itd be nice if i could buy my own permanent reuseable stake from qlist for 1000 qp or something (darkheart would still explode it)
Rikus
Methuselah
Clan: Nosferatu

Post by Rikus »

Dell wrote:Splitting into two clans would be fun
ghnat
Antediluvian

Post by ghnat »

we still havent seen the new shields implemented which have been on the agenda for like 3 yrs.
they are listed at krynne but we cant buy them that i know of.
kurtap
Ancilla
Clan: Cappadocian

Post by kurtap »

MORE PLACES TO BASH. New shields would be cool but after a couple weeks they will be standard.
Arkhinor
Antediluvian
Clan: Gangrel

Post by Arkhinor »

Alot of suggestions have revolved around PK - shields, new clandis etc

I know its a PK mud. But what it seems to boil down to is size, hit/dam and save vs spell.

which simplified more is where to bash, what gear to use and questing your gear ASAP.

Aside from size which bashing/grinding is always going to be mildly boring but thats why the conversations so enjoyable.. to watch. Great deal of vocabulary from some people - im sure the bashing helps them expand on their personal catalogue of insults whilst bored.

Something ELSE to do might be key in order to distract us from the monotony?
Something beyond gaining timed expiry hotted up eq.
Something beyond an extra clandi
something beyond hordes of free QP for slaying something that instamorts you (some of us that is :P)

Something that really recaptures the fun of bein the undead, bein in your clan, bein in a TEXT ONLY game, being online with allies n foes from years of playing.

Coz put simply - some peoples pedantic dogging of people who do things that piss them off and thus feel rightly motivated in ruining OTHER peoples games because they're a clanmate over.. some self-righteous moral highground - makes this place really repetetive and depressing. No offence but i think 'that' part of the mud has gone - its not entertaining unless your the one doing the destroying. *shrugs* I might've gone soft or it might be 2am n I just watched the Socceroos lose their chance of makin round 2 :P

Something a bit more lighthearted. Mazes, riddles, time trials.. i dunno.
yes - more areas basically. Maybe we're being spoilt for choice coz admin have done a hoobload on the original .. I dunno - maybe tis time to move on? *gasp* ..im kidding. I only just got access back :)

there have been a buttload of suggestions - no comments from admin as Az' stated so maybe we just be patient n wait? unless we plan on building (if you're capable I guess) in which case that stuff would get discussed in the builders section.. just my 3 cents.

Anywho - congrats USA. Nice goal against the poms too btw ;)
WATCH YOUR LEGGGSSS!! :twisted:
Azazel
Admin

Post by Azazel »

Ok - it's been almost 2 years since I originally posted this thread. At the time, it looked like some things were going to get done, but for whatever reason it did not happen.

I won't say much about the current situation, as I do not want to jinx anything, but it looks a lot more promising than it did 2 years ago.

As for your suggestions, they were read then but at the time nothing could be done about them. I have reread some of them, and looked at the newer posts. I will take the time to go over everything more closely in the next few days. I've also received a few suggestions over the past few days via private email.

I will say this: there are lots of suggestions here. Some are good, some are bad. We will look at them all and move forward as we think is best for the mud. However, we do want you to continue with your feedback. All suggestions, ideas, complaints, etc are welcome.

I know that some of the stuff commented on, such as black death and the "new" shields, are currently being worked on. Look for several things to be live this week. We also have some evil ideas being fleshed out.

Anyways - back to the NO COMMENTING mode. Don't expect admin to discuss suggestions with you. I try not to do that, as it pisses people off.

Azazel
bair
Antediluvian

Post by bair »

A couple more suggestions:

Increase backstab damage significantly, remove the immunity on it, and let us do it with more weapons (claw, stab, slice, kind of odd you can't backstab with a stabbing weapon). Should add variety to fight strategy, shorten fights, and its fun. You have to be hiding, and it raises your beast, so it makes sense that it would be good. Also, a slight bug with it, if I'm using 1 piercing weapon, and its in my left hand, and I have a whip in my right hand, the backstab will be a whip, even though you can't bs with a whip.

Increase the damage of call lightning (more than gas blast). You have to be outdoors and the weather has to be bad, so it makes sense that with these strict parameters it would be a good spell. It'd be nice to have a spell that actually does noticeable damage. This is an aoe spell. A similar single target spell would be cool.

it'd be cool if 'faerie fog' revealed secret exits in the room. Like the curtain in twisted dreams, for instance.

Put an autoassist toggle in for groups. Add 'mass bless' 'mass darkbless' etc.