Connection Problem

VW::Classic Helpdesk
This will house FAQs and general questions, player/admin alike.

IF you have a bug, report it via vw_support@new.vampire-wars.com NOT here.

Moderator: Azazel

Mordent
Ancilla

Connection Problem

Post by Mordent »

I was in the middle of bashing and having no lag issues or anything when I was suddenly disconnected from the game. When I tried logging back in my client just timed-out as if it wasn't getting a response from the server. I checked mudconnect.com and they showed everything was working fine. Then I tried connecting to the website and was given a "Network Time Out" error by my browser and am now accessing the site using a public proxy server I found on Google. I also tried connecting to a few other muds and had no problems at all...so it's something between my computer and the vampire wars server.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
I am powerful, I am immortal,
I am cursed, I am the Darkness,
I am Brujah.
Sonja
Antediluvian
Clan: Tremere

Re: Connection Problem

Post by Sonja »

Might have something to do with some of your ports? Need to open certain ones? Reset your connection? I'm a computer retard but I think those suggestions make sense.
Hiedric
Ancilla

Post by Hiedric »

hey mordent i had the same problem. im pretty sure on the same day. the other strange thing about it was i tried other vampire wars mods.....(just to see i dont have characters) and they didnt work either. BUT...other muds did work. just using the default ones on zmud. i got in immediately. but any mod of vampire wars would not connect. very strange
Dell
Antediluvian

Post by Dell »

Well...first off, trying other VW muds doesnt mean a thing..most all run on different servers then us. Second...what VW's were u trying? cause most all the other ones are down permanently..lol.

It was either an issue with your computer..or our servers were just down for a bit.
Hiedric
Ancilla

Post by Hiedric »

i realize they are all separated. thats why i thought it to be wierd that they all wouldnt connect. but any other mud would. thats how i figured it wasnt a problem with my computer, cause i connected to 5 other ones just fine. the other strange thing was. i seemed. and i guess mordent, to be the only ones with the problem. hasnt happened since though. dunno which other vw muds though. just tried them all i think.
bair
Antediluvian
Clan: Toreador

Post by bair »

disable windows firewall and your routers firewall
Hiedric
Ancilla

Post by Hiedric »

i wouldnt want to do that if it only happened one day and for a couple of hours. if it gets to be all the time maybe.
bair
Antediluvian

Post by bair »

was just to diagnose the problem, not a permanent solution.
Isaac
Neonate

Post by Isaac »

Disable your windows firewall and keep your firewall up on your router. Open the ports for TCP and UDP on 6665 to 6667 for Classic, you could just put 6666 if you wanted, but I usually do a range. That should allow connection to the mud without any problems. You could also set up DMZ on just your specific local ip/computer and just have that computer have the ability to send and receive on all ports (this is what DMZ does)
ghnat
Antediluvian

Post by ghnat »

sometimes my computer only access 1 mud(randomly) and no other internet functions work. resetting my wirless router solves this problem
Arkhinor
Antediluvian
Clan: Gangrel

Post by Arkhinor »

Okay.. similar situation - i live somewhere where we all share the same wireless internet via a router thru a firewall.
How do we 'open' ports specifically 6666? am i gunna have to do that on the PC thats plugged into the 'internet' or can i do it on my own PC. coz i havent changed my pc ever - its only denied me access since we plugged in the stupid router firewall..also - using terms like DMZ when ur tryna explain to someone who clearly cannot resolve the issue themselves, i think, makes you sound like an arrogant know it all. FYI :) break it down for the purpose of being more helpful without being sarcastic please :)
WATCH YOUR LEGGGSSS!! :twisted:
bair
Antediluvian

Post by bair »

it was assumed you knew how to use google as there are millions of guides that will tell you what dmz and port forwarding are and how to do it for each brand of router. if you have a linksys router, type http://192.168.1.1, no username, password is admin. port fowarding and dmz host enabling will be there. i dont know about other routers, they all have different addresses where their configuration is located, easily googled if you have a different brand or want to know more. also in order to enable DMZ and forward ports you will need to know what ip address your computer is using to be identified by the router, this can be found by gong to start > run > cmd, this brings up a dos prompt, type ipconfig and hit enter, and it will tell you your ip address on the 2nd line after your network adapter is listed.