Item

VW::Classic Helpdesk
This will house FAQs and general questions, player/admin alike.

IF you have a bug, report it via vw_support@new.vampire-wars.com NOT here.

Moderator: Azazel

Sami
Antediluvian
Clan: Ventrue

Re: Item

Post by Sami »

A plain black robe
A room key
A treasure chest
any ideas? these can't be located on the game either. Ghnat tried, Mordent tried and I've tried.
The Way of Heaven is to benefit others and not to injure. The Way of the sage is to act but not to compete... Lao Tzu
Valynn
Elder

Post by Valynn »

I have done some checking.
Plain black robe key words are fine, they are same as the name so should come up in any variation of key words.
It is a loadable item, though do not show it loaded for some reason.

A room key also has room and key as keywords so should show, but does not. It is a loadable, I can oload it without issue, but it is not loaded on the mud at this time.

A treasure chest is different. I am not able to load this, and show no sign of it in any search as treasure or chest as admin. Please check item and spelling again.

Treasure chest in Tiger Lake.
A sunken treasure chest in Bottom Of The Bright Pond.

I initiated a copyover to check on load issues for these items.
Checking these items after copyover show no signs of these loading in their respective areas.
Which means I need to check the area files to see why these are in but not loading.

I have put the room key and plain black robe in thier respective areas for them to be found till the issue is resolved.

Any other issue such as this please let me know.

~Valynn
Xorn
Neonate

Post by Xorn »

Hey everyone,

I think mordent's database on his site is a great tool. please, when you're out questing, start adding items as you go into the tool. it helps everybody.
Taipan
Elder

Post by Taipan »

I think everyone does?
Helmut
Admin

Post by Helmut »

You guys are populating a site that isn't hosted by Vampire Wars. What are you going to do when someone else decides to close his site? Then your stuck with populating another site. Why not populate our site, that we promise to keep it up as long as the game is running? If we got people as dedicated as you guys to populate ours, then it would be more useful, and it will NOT go away.

http://new.vampire-wars.com/wiki/
-Helmut
Mordent
Ancilla

Post by Mordent »

I was under the impression (as I have heard over and over again) that past admin were known to be very much against questing sites. This would lead me to believe that at the drop of a dime an "official" vw:classic questing site could very well go offline or be deleted.

Not to mention, it's very common for the "official" sites to go years at a time without being updated (the reason I originally started working on it was primarily to store updated directions since the Brujah directions page was so out of date).

I created an (unofficial) vw site that is currently under moderation by multiple players to help protect it from going stagnant and can assure you that if I ever stop playing or shut the site down that I'll be more than happy to send all the data within the site to someone else should they decide they wanted to keep a site up-and-running.

I'm not saying to not use the wiki. I just thought I'd share the reasoning behind why my vw:classic site was created in the first place and mention some of the precautions that have been taken to make sure the data within is as accurate as possible.
I am powerful, I am immortal,
I am cursed, I am the Darkness,
I am Brujah.
Xorn
Neonate

Post by Xorn »

Why not mirror the data on both sites?
Helmut
Admin

Post by Helmut »

Well, with no disrespect to Mordent. I'm sure that everyone appreciates what he is doing for everyone. I would be reluctant on registering on a site that I didn't know the person. I hope no one uses the same password on his site that you use to sign into the game. The site here on our server will remain in tack. There were a few admins that didn't like the idea, but realistically there is no reason to prevent it.

Why not help popluate the site that the actual game runs from?
-Helmut
Mordent
Ancilla

Post by Mordent »

Helmut wrote:I hope no one uses the same password on his site that you use to sign into the game
Even if they did it wouldn't matter. The site is a standard drupal install and not coded by me personally (aside from changes to the theme). Additionally, the administrator role only has access to change a user's password; the password is stored in the database as an encrypted variable in order to prevent anyone but the user that it belongs to from knowing what it is. And even in the case that someone forgets their password, the request is handled by sending a one-time login to the email address the person registered under that then allows them to change it without ever saying what the old password was.
Helmut wrote:Why not help popluate the site that the actual game runs from?
Users tend to put as much attention into a website as the person/people responsible for maintaining it. Granted, Admin currently have a game to worry about fixing. But still, it really isn't that surprising that players aren't using the game-sponsored wiki that hasn't been touched by an admin in a very, very long time.
I am Brujah.
Helmut
Admin

Post by Helmut »

Users tend to put as much attention into a website as the person/people responsible for maintaining it. Granted, Admin currently have a game to worry about fixing. But still, it really isn't that surprising that players aren't using the game-sponsored wiki that hasn't been touched by an admin in a very, very long time
I go to the page often. Though, being an admin, i'm not contributing information. That was one of the sacrifices that was made with putting the site up. The information was suppose to be populated by the people playing the game. So, if your going to take the time to populate a site, why not be one that will be kept up as long as the game is. I've seen many of these sites get populate and disappear. Tons of other people have as well. So, *shrug* I think it would be in the best interest to have the site on the wiki updated. Though, im only an old admin that has been around for years. What do I know?
-Helmut
Sami
Antediluvian

Post by Sami »

You know what you two.. I TAKE OFFENSE TO THIS... i had pages up and running on my own personal site for people to use before Mordent's site got up and running. so now I'M NOT TO BE TRUSTED TOO. wow this is so f**king nice to know now. Now I WILL NOT use the wiki site or mordent's site. i'll use my own information from now on .. f**k the rest. Thank you Helmut for the realization. I will post items on my own website from now on for my own personal use since i won't be using any other sites. and Helmut you can thank yourself for that now. Because, I have acutally had enough of this bickering out of 2 grown men. I WILL NOT USE EITHER SITE FOR NOW ON. maybe and just maybe you two will finally grow up and act like MEN that i complain about about once to twice a week. GROW THE F**K UP.
And if this keeps up .. i'm going back into torpor for good .. no coming back ever .. then you explain to Az why he's losing players cuz of admins bitching about bulls**t. Helmut there is nobody on that knows the wiki site. I diddn't save it .. and there are NO ADMINS ON THESE DAYS, hardly even you. Az has a life, Valynn is doing god knows what, you're doing god knows what, Ember is doing god knows what... so THERE ARE NO ADMINS ON . Think about what you're bi**hing about. NOBODY ON KNOWS THE WIKI SITE.
The Way of Heaven is to benefit others and not to injure. The Way of the sage is to act but not to compete... Lao Tzu
Helmut
Admin

Post by Helmut »

After Mordent presented his password being stored in a db, I never once questioned his integrity from that point Sami. Its obvious that Mordent knows what he is doing with site. I wasn't questioning MORDENT or anyone elses integrity. I was pointing out the fact that I, and Im sure people can back me up on this, have seen many quest sites get shut down after some several work has been put into populating it. I was merely pointing out that we have a site here that I was recommending for people to use. I went to bat to get it up, and would hate to see my efforts and the site go to waste.
NOBODY ON KNOWS THE WIKI SITE.
Directions on how to work the site...

http://new.vampire-wars.com/wiki/index. ... talk:Quest
-Helmut
Sami
Antediluvian

Post by Sami »

That's the catch Helmut, WE mostly Mordent and Myself (i posted some of the items i had on my page to his website since i didn't have the wiki site) put a lot of work into it and if he does want to give it up .. i might talk him into giving it to me so that it would not shut down for good, just a different addy. One day soon, I planned on going through the site and posting the **** on the wiki site if someone had it :D... NOw that i have it ... i can do it when classes calm down. Anyways, Mordent used information from my page of items to get the items list started. All you had to do was ask if anyone planned on using the wiki site and all this would not have happened. But, you did not. You just assumed. Before Mordents site got up and running, I checked out the site a couple of times before i lost the addy.
I know all too well about the sites dying. I used one that died on us. That's why I was glad that Mordent came up with his.
But, I do plan on posting what's on Mordent's site on the wiki site now that i have it.
Mordent
Ancilla

Post by Mordent »

Sami wrote:But, I do plan on posting what's on Mordent's site on the wiki site now that i have it.
Before you bother sitting down and manually entering 700+ quest items into the wiki it would be worth finding out how the site stores the information it displays. If it's just a matter of reading it from a database then I could provide the data from my site so that it could be input all at once.
I am Brujah.
Helmut
Admin

Post by Helmut »

Before you bother sitting down and manually entering 700+ quest items into the wiki it would be worth finding out how the site stores the information it displays. If it's just a matter of reading it from a database then I could provide the data from my site so that it could be input all at once.
Even though, the site db im sure is different from your db. I will be happy to try and see if I can figure out a way to make it work. I think that, by me loading this onto the site, it wouldn't mean that I put the information up there. Get with me, or email me at helmut@mudder.net , and i'll see if I can help out here.
-Helmut
Sami
Antediluvian

Post by Sami »

Ty now i won't have a headache ... now could i ask Helmut for a huge favor ..oload the darn hollyhock on the deathmage .. please :P I've been asking for a week now.
Helmut
Admin

Post by Helmut »

I cant oload that right now because I want to find out what the issue is with that. I'll get back with you on that.....
-Helmut
Helmut
Admin

Post by Helmut »

After looking at the db for wiki and the one for drupal, there is NO easy way of importing it. So... I will manually load this information. If anyone wants to help me, let me know. We can work out something strategy. Since im using the information you guys gave me, I myself isn't really populating it.
-Helmut
Mordent
Ancilla

Post by Mordent »

Sure, I'll be willing to help. While I'm not sure how much time I'll have to invest in it, maybe give me the most recent 50 items or so to get started with? Just let me know how you want to handle it and I'll get started working on it some time tomorrow.
I am Brujah.
Helmut
Admin

Post by Helmut »

I'm pulling the areas in right now. So, I guess work on the items. When you stop with the items, just come back here and let me know where you left off. I'll start at the z's and go backwards when I start on the items.
-Helmut
Mordent
Ancilla

Post by Mordent »

Alright. I won't be able to get started for at least a few hours. But I'll make sure I communicate which items I input once I do manage to get some of it done.
I am Brujah.
Helmut
Admin

Post by Helmut »

Finished with the directions. Now starting on the items.
-Helmut
Helmut
Admin

Post by Helmut »

POSTED items 534 - 725 already....

Im done for a little while.
-Helmut
Helmut
Admin

Post by Helmut »

looks like, at this point. I'm stuck entering them all myself...............
-Helmut
Helmut
Admin

Post by Helmut »

I entered 534-500 this morning. I'll knock out some more tomorrow morning.
-Helmut
Mordent
Ancilla

Post by Mordent »

Were all the items input? I got to item 142 from the beginning of the list and started finding items were already there.
I am Brujah.
Helmut
Admin

Post by Helmut »

I didn't put them in there. I had found some that were in there before we even started. I can see if I can figure out if the rest are in there or not. 142? I'll let you know tomorrow when I get a minute to take a gander at it.
-Helmut
Sami
Antediluvian

Post by Sami »

Sorry that I cannot do that much with finals here and all ... been working my butt off on keeping my A's and B's and i am hoping for 2 A's after all this work :twisted: yes I have been doing this for two weeks now. :evil:
Mordent
Ancilla

Post by Mordent »

I've got finals coming up this weekend as well. So I'll be unable to contribute until monday (if all the items weren't input). I tried to input the next 10 items or so beyond where I got the other day and they were all already in there and the info looked consistent with what was in my database.
I am Brujah.
Helmut
Admin

Post by Helmut »

I think i found where the next ones need to be entered in. I know your busy Sami, and I appreciate it. Mordent, I really appreciate what you have already entered in. I'll see if I cant get the remainder entered in tomorrow. IF I have a slow day tomorrow, then I'll try to get the remainder put in. I think I found around 300 or so that needs to be put in yet. I'll let you guys know how far I got by tomorrow some time.
-Helmut
Helmut
Admin

Post by Helmut »

ok, 135 left to enter. I'll get to that some time monday.
-Helmut
ghnat
Antediluvian

Post by ghnat »

thanks for the effort man its appreciated.
Raziel
Neonate

Post by Raziel »

Damn Helmut! Hard at work! You guys should have made it a SQL database like we talked about a long time ago :P Would have made your job easier man lol. Very nice job though.
Helmut
Admin

Post by Helmut »

It is an sql database. Mediawiki uses mysql.
-Helmut
Raziel
Neonate

Post by Raziel »

Gotcha, pretty nice. It looks a hell of alot better than the old vwquest one, that one was nice but it had a boatload of duplicates and wasn't really managed and couldn't be edited.