Silver

VW::Classic Helpdesk
This will house FAQs and general questions, player/admin alike.

IF you have a bug, report it via vw_support@new.vampire-wars.com NOT here.

Moderator: Azazel

Sami
Antediluvian
Clan: Ventrue

Silver

Post by Sami »

What is the use of silver on weapons? I'm just curious about this? and no Guthrie I'm not giving you silver! :P
The Way of Heaven is to benefit others and not to injure. The Way of the sage is to act but not to compete... Lao Tzu
zestin
Neonate

Re: Silver

Post by zestin »

I'd like to put some silver into you ;)
Sonja
Antediluvian
Clan: Tremere

Post by Sonja »

ew.
Isaac
Neonate

Post by Isaac »

Silver probably had a purpose during the Diku/Merc MAYBE even Godwars days, but in the Vampire Wars code, I have seen no purpose/use for it.
Mase
Ancilla

Post by Mase »

I was curious, so I went through the mud development progression looking for it. Pretty interesting, actually. There are no "silver" flags in Diku and none in Merc. The flags first show up in the 1995 version of the Godwars codebase (it wasn't actually released at that time, but KaVir had shared the code with a few people in October and some of them ended up violating his trust). The 1995 version of the silver flag did nothing - the flag was only defined, not implemented in any way, probably for later use. As I expected, the 1996 version and the later deluxe version of Godwars had the silver flag fleshed out - it exclusively caused extra damage to the werewolf class, and werewolves could train up their tolerance to silver using experience (from what I could see on my quick grep).

In the original release of Vampire Wars code, there is precisely the same silver implementation as Godwars 1995. On the website of KaVir's more recent project he has a few pages entitled "The History of Godwars", and he actually mentions the origins of Vampire Wars, which some of you might find interesting. I won't post the website, because it's the host of a newer version of Godwars and I don't want to seem like I'm advertising (I don't play the mud myself), but if you look in the external links here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GodWars you can find a direct link to the history page.

Of course, this does nothing to answer your question, Sami. Classic has been hugely modified and improved from the original release that's still available - spend 5 minutes on a poor vw derivative and you'll see what I mean. Classic isn't air-tight, but in the midst of all the apparent bug fixes, interface improvements and additions over the years, some implementation for the silver flag might have been put in place - I couldn't tell you, I haven't done sufficient testing in-game to have any idea.
Sami
Antediluvian

Post by Sami »

That figures... it's coming from a man too :P hehe ....all Az tells me is to trial by error.. but the weapons i'm asking about are unarmed and missing 6/6 i think and have silver on them .. they're not bad i do have them set for pk but nobody to try them on :(
The Way of Heaven is to benefit others and not to injure. The Way of the sage is to act but not to compete... Lao Tzu
Sonja
Antediluvian

Post by Sonja »

nod, my guess all along was the werewolf thing.
Sami
Antediluvian

Post by Sami »

I know about silver and mutts... i play a mud where there are mutts an vamps and others... curiousity was all.
ghnat
Antediluvian

Post by ghnat »

i played a godwars where you trained silver if you were werewolf using primal. vampires trained fire with primal so that each could become more resistant to them as they got bigger. eternal night i believe it was. long since dead. my suggestion is silver is a waste of time to quest on. more interesting is the holy flag. it would be prudent to test its usage because i have seen it do a lot of damage. the point i am unsure of is whether vampires can use holy flag without damaging themselves. i am leaning towards it being a vampire hunter weapon spell.
Sonja
Antediluvian

Post by Sonja »

hah I played eternal night briefly. I remember that stuff.
their who list was crazy.
ghnat
Antediluvian

Post by ghnat »

yeah i was a 10k mastery ww but i got owned by 5k vampires cause they were just way tougher.
i remember doing all the crystal eq runs solo though cause regen for ww was 1 tick full heal if you slept. but when you came to pk vampires just flogged you.:( so i used to hide on eq runs cause then vampires would die trying to get me that would usually kick my ***.
Mezari
Neonate

Post by Mezari »

Haha EN was my fav :P I was an imm there, also had a sick vampire ;)
But we used to complain about WW's cos maddog loved them lol :D

Midnight was great there, cos gave vamps full regen... so picked your fights right before the tick just in case ;)

But yeh, you could train silver with primal.