Save Vs Spell

VW::Classic Helpdesk
This will house FAQs and general questions, player/admin alike.

IF you have a bug, report it via vw_support@new.vampire-wars.com NOT here.

Moderator: Azazel

Guthrie
Antediluvian
Clan: Gangrel

Save Vs Spell

Post by Guthrie »

What if we removed save vs spells from the game and added a chance to miss on curse? As new gear comes out saves vs spell would eventually stop showing on gear. I don't think we need to remove the stat from gear, unless we are able to do that on every single piece all at once.
Just an idea...
kurtap
Ancilla
Clan: Cappadocian

Re: Save Vs Spell

Post by kurtap »

GOOD plan. It will cut down on the exhaustingly long arena matches. PK will probably be just as fun if not more fun. Eliminating saves might put an end to every single character on the mud having basically the same setup. Some folks will go for ac others will go for hit or dam. Could lead to more fighting styles rather than just waiting for the other person to screw up.
bair
Antediluvian
Clan: Toreador

Post by bair »

down with saves!!! you could cut the effectiveness in half or 3/4, i'd imagine you could just put .5* or .25* somewhere, although i clearly know nothing about coding.
ghnat
Antediluvian

Post by ghnat »

well taking out saves wont change the way people gear. it will all be hit and dam then because ac is worthless above a certain point, as we all know. from the annals of brujah of old they actually stated at some point that any ac past -700 was unnoticeable in pk. dont know that is true but certainly i have experienced very little difference in pk ability through having a ac as high as my own. taking out saves would make cursing weapons way overpowered and basically if you are bigger you insta win. at the moment saves make pvp extremely hard and flukey but if you time everything well you can still win fights against smaller or larger opponents just depending on your reaction time and luck. which is always fun.
bair
Antediluvian
Clan: Toreador

Post by bair »

i dont think they should be removed, just a little less effective. they are overpowered as it is and are in need of balancing. and this is coming from a person who is smaller than everybody he fights.

also on the flipside it will entice smaller people to fight biggers, or at least try to jump them. i know there are plenty of situations where i didnt jump a bigger person bashing because i knew they'd get away 90% of the time.

and if what you're saying about -ac being pretty much pointless after a certain point is true, then that obviously should be a top priority to fix. i sure hope we haven't spent all that qp on absolutely nothing. i do know that your opponent's hitroll and your -ac work against each other to decide whether there is a hit or not.
damien
Elder
Clan: Malkavian

Post by damien »

If they are gonna cap it, they should let curse give you a 10 save vs. spell
The Tiny Old Man of Malkavian
Sonja
Antediluvian
Clan: Tremere

Post by Sonja »

A discipline with a 'dampen magic' kind of spell would be interesting to see
like Damien, mentioned, that adds 10 savespell to the player or w/e
Guthrie
Antediluvian
Clan: Gangrel

Post by Guthrie »

It's capped. So far it works nicely. Arena'd twice tonight and I don't think either fight was over 20 minutes.
ghnat
Antediluvian

Post by ghnat »

damn no more 3 hr arenas for me:(
damien
Elder
Clan: Malkavian

Post by damien »

Well... I got smart and upped my ac hit dam with the freedom to sac saves. It will be interesting to see my new score in action
The Tiny Old Man of Malkavian
ghnat
Antediluvian

Post by ghnat »

i got even smarter and changed nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whoot
Omnis
Ancilla
Clan: Ventrue

Post by Omnis »

I'd like a better general understanding of save vs spell... how it works and whatnot. Ty.
. . .Everything and Nothing at the Same Time. . .
The thoughts you are thinking,
The keys you type on,
The love you feel,
The hatred,
Omnis
Sami
Antediluvian

Post by Sami »

Sonja wrote:A discipline with a 'dampen magic' kind of spell would be interesting to see
like Damien, mentioned, that adds 10 savespell to the player or w/e

If they do ... make it to where it is only useful while fighting which means you will not see it unless you score while fighting.
The Way of Heaven is to benefit others and not to injure. The Way of the sage is to act but not to compete... Lao Tzu
ghnat
Antediluvian

Post by ghnat »

basically save vs spell needs to be more negative to be more effective. every spell has a chance to fail depending on a roll made by the person it is cast on. so say you have -35 saves(which is now the cap) it gives a bonus to your chance to resist the damage or affect that spell would of done to you. when cursing someone without any saves you will find that it works almost every time but at -35 saves you can resist around 1/3 of the time.
Omnis
Ancilla

Post by Omnis »

Thank you Ghnat for clearing that up for me =) I knew it had something to do with curse, but I didn't know the details.
. . .Everything and Nothing at the Same Time. . .
The thoughts you are thinking,
The keys you type on,
The love you feel,
The hatred,
Omnis
ghnat
Antediluvian

Post by ghnat »

fireball and fireshield can be resisted in the same fashion, so saves can reduce the damage you take considerably.