revamp of xp cap

VW::Classic Helpdesk
This will house FAQs and general questions, player/admin alike.

IF you have a bug, report it via vw_support@new.vampire-wars.com NOT here.

Moderator: Azazel

ghnat
Antediluvian

revamp of xp cap

Post by ghnat »

so like any good governmental policy the idea is always to reward people rather than punish. That being said something like a kill being worth 10 more points than a death on league or something minor like this could see people start pking. another way could be to say that any pk grants a bonus 200k xp on top of whatever the person had because surely a pk is harder to get than 200k xp. Just some small offset like those or even 1 qp or primal per pk, you know it seems tiny but people respond so much better to a incentive than to a whip.
UnTeR
Neonate

Re: revamp of xp cap

Post by UnTeR »

true story.
Azazel
Admin

Post by Azazel »

I don't think this title is what you intended it to be.

When I see xp cap - I'm thinking the max amount you can get per mobkill - or the max amount you can store w/out using it.

The penalty for pk death has always been a tricky one.

It's something we've discussed many times over the years. I don't know that coding it in so there wasn't a penalty for avatar (or whatever the feck they switched it to during one of my hiatuses) was something we always wanted - but I don't know if an easy way to work that in was ever discovered.

A lot of it has to do with how the players league calculates points.

If there was a way so that avatar deaths - and maybe even deaths up to status 5 (still fighter????) didn't count against you it'd be gravy.

As for xp - I think the amount in hand of pk'd player - or the amount in hand x random multiplier - or random amount in general - could be discussed, at least.
ghnat
Antediluvian

Post by ghnat »

As for xp - I think the amount in hand of pk'd player - or the amount in hand x random multiplier - or random amount in general - could be discussed, at least.
I don't understand what this means?
Azazel
Admin

Post by Azazel »

azazel wrote:As for xp - I think the amount in hand of pk'd player - or the amount in hand x random multiplier - or random amount in general - could be discussed, at least.
ghnat wrote: I don't understand what this means?
You cap player, you currently get the "amount of exp they have" (amount in hand).

Possibly - that amount times some random multiplier. So, if player X has 50,000 exp and they get capped, the decapper could get 50,000 times some random number - from 1 to whatever. Maybe even throw in a small % that the multiplier is zero.

Or

A random amount of exp per decap - regardless of the amount decapped player has "in hand".

Or

Something else.

Is that clear?

---

As for the player's league - the way it works makes it difficult to not count negative for deaths at certain points. I'd be hesitant to make deaths not have a negative penalty.

The Players league was just put in for fun. I'd love to see it sortable in multiple ways. I don't have time to go into my ideas right now, especially since they probably won't get coded in.
ghnat
Antediluvian

Post by ghnat »

yep what you said makes more sense. the point being that most people train all all when they get attacked means that you usually end up with **** all xp meaning a bonus of a certain flat value would be more enticing for people to decap others and it could be scaled off what status the person is you decap. eg
in hand= 100k but vagabond cap gets bonus 50k= you get 150k
in hand= 100k but rogue cap gets bonus 100k= you get 200k
in hand= 100k but fighter cap gets bonus 150k= you get 250k
etc
Azazel
Admin

Post by Azazel »

Another option is a "train" timer similar to a PK/Quit timer.

Or maybe all of it.
ghnat
Antediluvian

Post by ghnat »

another mud i played had the thing that you couldn't train doing combat and if you fled you had a 50% chance of losing all xp. this meant if you were jumped you were more likely to fight if you had saved xp.
Helmut
Admin

Post by Helmut »

Azazel wrote:The Players league was just put in for fun. I'd love to see it sortable in multiple ways. I don't have time to go into my ideas right now, especially since they probably won't get coded in.
The players league is sortable now. Not sure when the last time you looked? It's all stored in a database. I'm willing to adjust this however you like. We can discuss this offline/private.
-Helmut
Azazel
Admin

Post by Azazel »

I don't even feel it's worth bringing up (mainly cause I'd have to take a few minutes to remember it). sorting by column isn't what i meant, and honestly i haven't looked at it in ages. I meant my ideas wouldn't get coded in due to more important things. I'd rather have seen other things gone in, but hell - I'm so far out of the loop I ain't stepping on toes. The game takes care of itself, as long as good people are tending it, and they are.

The players league was never meant to be anything more than something fun. It wasn't meant to be a gauge of how successful a player is on the mud. If anything, it's allowed players to extrapolate the size of opponents - which isn't what we intended either.
ghnat
Antediluvian

Post by ghnat »

assuaging a players size is now not very accurate due to elite mobs and the xp loss once you get big. some players get to 10k with less kills than people that are 15k in this day and age.
Helmut
Admin

Post by Helmut »

ghnat wrote:assuaging a players size is now not very accurate due to elite mobs and the xp loss once you get big. some players get to 10k with less kills than people that are 15k in this day and age.

Good! You aren't suppose to play the code any way. Suppose to play the game. I'm glad we added more mystery to peoples sizes.
-Helmut
blart
Ancilla
Clan: Brujah

Post by blart »

not being able to gage peoples size is one thing but when you spent most of your mud life getting huge sort a speak and then people who havent played as long just size on you with less time then all the loopholes in the code to give people an edge or better advantage to win is all most of them try to do. I however thought of trying that but ended up retiring to real life for a bit because of family problems(I wont get into). Now there are good things with the elite mobs but alot of downfalls as well. weigh the good with the bad is how it works.